What should you avoid after at-home laser hair removal?
After undergoing at-home laser hair removal treatment, it’s essential to avoid certain activities to ensure successful results and prevent irritation. These include:
- Refraining from sun exposure and using a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher
- Avoiding hot baths, showers, saunas, and steam rooms for 24 to 48 hours
- Steering clear of activities that cause excessive sweating for at least 2 days
- Not picking, scratching, or rubbing the treated area
- Using fragrance-free, mild soaps, and avoiding harsh skincare products
How can you soothe your skin immediately after treatment?
Immediately after your at-home laser hair removal session, soothing and cooling the treated area is crucial. Apply a cold compress or a packet of frozen peas wrapped in a towel to the treated area for 10 to 15 minutes. If your skin still feels hot after this time, reapply the compress until the heat subsides to help reduce inflammation and discomfort.
What are the best aftercare products for laser hair removal?
Several products can help soothe and protect the skin following an at-home laser hair removal treatment. These include:
- Aloe vera gel: A natural, cooling, and soothing option that can also help reduce redness and irritation
- Over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream: Applied in a thin layer, it can help alleviate any itchiness or redness
- Fragrance-free, unscented moisturizer: A gentle choice to help keep the skin hydrated and healthy
- Vitamin E oil or cream: A nourishing and soothing option to help promote healing and reduce irritation
How long should you wait before exfoliating after laser hair removal?
Exfoliating the treated area can help keep your skin healthy and prevent ingrown hairs. Wait at least 3 to 5 days after your at-home laser hair removal treatment before starting to exfoliate. When you’re ready to begin, use a gentle scrub, exfoliating glove, or a soft-bristled brush in a circular motion, taking care to avoid excessive pressure, which can irritate the skin.
How can you prevent ingrown hairs after laser hair removal?
Preventing ingrown hairs after laser hair removal is essential to maintaining smooth, irritation-free skin. Here are some helpful tips:
- Exfoliate the treated area gently and regularly, as mentioned earlier
- Keep the area well-hydrated by applying a gentle, fragrance-free moisturizer daily
- Avoid tight clothing that may rub or chafe the treated area
- Consider using topical products specifically designed to prevent ingrown hairs, such as those containing salicylic or glycolic acid